Scaling-up Climate Change in Sub-national Planning and Budgeting
The project is building upon the successful interventions of integrating climate change adaptation into local planning, which have been promoted by the three ongoing projects: 1. Promoting Climate Resilient Water Management and Agricultural Practices; 2. Cambodia Community Based Adaptation Programme; and 3. Local Governance and Climate Change. Good practices such as promoting vulnerable household participation in local development planning process, scaling-up climate change planning tools (i.e. vulnerability reduction assessment), adoption of resilient agriculture techniques, and promoting roles of different service providers in climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction will be promoted. In addition, the project will enhance the government’s initiative to develop climate change mainstreaming guideline into sub-national planning. The guideline will contribute to government's efforts on climate change financing at the sub-national levels.
Key expected results
- Increased support and ownership of sub-national administrations on the integration of climate change into district and commune investment programmes through the engagement and facilitation of key sectors and CSOs; and
- Enhanced ownership and readiness of National Committee for Sub-National Democratic Development Secretariat (NCDD-S)for the development and implementation of a climate change mainstreaming operational guideline sub-national planning.
Key achieved results in 2014
- Operational guideline on mainstreaming climate change and disaster risk management into sub-national planning was developed
- Capacity building manual on mainstreaming climate change and disaster risk management into sub-national planning was developed, tested, and trained to NCDD-S and sub-national administrative officers.
- 49 communes of 5 districts in Battambang, Takeo and Preah Vihear provinces integrated climate change adaptation into district and commune investment programmes out of which 32 (17 infrastructure and 15 non-infrastructure) received funding transferred directly into commune account through national treasury
|UNDP Regular TRAC||USD 800,000|
|Government In-kind||USD 32,300|
|UNDP (parallel)||USD 187,000|
|CIDA (parallel)||USD 2,242,425.90|