From a water scarce to a water supplier – a tale of one Cambodian village
Kampong Speu - The late morning heat was building up and Nuon Chhuon realized it’s time to give his pigs a shower.
“They need to be hosed at least three times a day to cool off,” the 69-year-old farmer said, referring to the 10 piglets that were busy competing for their mother’s milk in the pen. “My son plans on getting married and this is where he will get his wedding money from.”
- All 67 houses in Kraing Serey village are now equipped with water-supplied toilets
- Children are able to attend classes more regularly as they no longer have to help their parents fetch water like they used to do in the past
- Plan is being discussed to extend the pipe to sell water to 400 houses in neighboring villages
Not long ago, raising pigs in his backyard never crossed his mind since his village of 335 people did not even have enough water for cooking and washing.
The construction of a water reservoir has finally put an end to their plight and brought significant changes to the lives of the people of Kraing Serey, in Kampong Speu province. And now they are discussing a bigger plan: to sell excess water to neighboring villages.
“There is more than enough water for us to go around these days. We can keep the excess water to entertain our eyes but that won’t bring any income to our community,” said Long Thim, 36, the community leader.
In the past, he said, the villagers spent on average four hours daily just on collecting water. Women, who make up more than half of the village’s population, bore the brunt of the work. Children also had to skip classes often to help with the task. Some people had their sleep shortened at night to rush to the wells before others could drain them of water. Others had to buy it from outside, paying US$2 for every 400 litres of water just to last a few days. That’s a heavy sum in a country where many people still scrape by on less than US$1 a day.
"Only after we found some water to bring home could we set our minds on other things for the rest of the day,” said Chea Sarom, 41 and a mother of five children. “My children used to look very unhappy whenever I made them go fetch water after they returned from school,” she added. They no longer have to shoulder the burden since their home is now hooked to a pipe system that brings water up to their front yard.
Kraing Serey village is among rural communities without access to a sufficient water source – whether for framing or consumption. But its proximity to a foothill, the villagers said, makes it impossible to dig any wells deep enough to provide one of human’s most essential needs. This is especially difficult during dry season.
The situation began to reverse in 2012. A reservoir – four meters deep and 5,400 square meters in size – was built, with funding from Sweden, to catch rainwater flushing down the surrounding hills. A pipeline was later laid to connect to all 67 houses in the village. They are now equipped with water-supplied toilets, which the villagers said have contributed to the decline in water-borne disease such as diarrhea among children. People are growing vegetables for sale and food. Others are raising pigs to diversify their source of income – and to collect manure to make cooking gas.
Now it’s time to reach out to help their neighbors.
Long Thim said that, in May this year, the pipeline was extended to sell water to 20 houses in a neighboring village at 2,000 riel (50 US cents) per cubic metre. He said the fee is only a third of the price charged by private water truck drivers. Currently, he and the villagers are studying a request to supply the water to another 400 homes in three adjacent villages.
“We knew fully well what it was like to live with water shortage and that is why we want to help others,” he said.
He acknowledged that his planned enterprise will face challenges, but he believed it is doable. The reservoir has the capacity to meet the needs of both current and new users all year round. New customers will be charged 50 US cents per cubic metre, effectively saving them US$1 for the same amount of water they buy from outside. He said money to be earned will be used for future development in his village and, most importantly, for ensuring the long life of the utility itself.
The reservoir project was carried out by the Small Grants Programme (SGP), with support from (UNDP), as part of a broader initiative to improve resilience of 450 rural communities in Cambodia to cope with effects of climate change.
Weathering the Storm
- 해외에서 하나님의 사랑을 전하고 계시는 선교사님들께 진심으로 감사드립니다. 캄보디아 국가발전을 위해 훈센 총리를 비롯한 국가공무원들에게 널리 공유해 주시면 정말 감사하겠습니다. 현재 KOICA에서 추진중인 새마을운동 기반의 캄보디아 농촌공동체 개발사업은 근본적으로 한계를 가질 수 밖에 없습니다. 캄보디아가 완전자립국가로 성장할려면 대한민국에서 추진하고 있는 인류대민사업에 캄보디아가 해야할 역할이 있습니다. 대한민국에서 인류대민사업이 시작될 수 있도록 훈센 총리를 비롯한 캄보디아 국가지도자들이 박근혜 대통령에게 기존의 새마을운동 차원이 아닌 인류대민사업을 바탕으로 한 지구촌새마을운동 차원으로 승화되어야 하는 당위성을 어필해 주셔야 합니다. 그럴때 현재 KOICA에서 추진하고 있는 캄퐁스푸,트봉크몸주를 포함한 3개주 30개마을 농촌공동체 개발사업이 실질적인 성공을 이루게 될 것입니다. 캄보디아 선교를 위해 오늘도 불철주야 애쓰시는 선교사님들의 역할이 정말 절실히 필요한 때입니다. 베트남과 미얀마 그리고 아프리카에서 활동하시는 선교사님들께서도 땅끝까지 하나님의 복음을 전하시려면 인류대민사업 프로젝트가 하루라도 빨리 시작될 수 있도록 함께 마음을 모아 주시길 간절히 부탁드립니다. 캄보디아와 아프리카 형제자매들의 기아와 빈곤을 퇴치하고 질병과 전쟁의 고통에서 벗어나고 선진국들의 복지딜레마를 해결하여 인류가 함께 더불어 행복한 지상천국시대를 열어 보아요~ 힘내세요~ 대구시 공무원님들! 대한민국 공무원님들! 모두가 공인으로서 인류지도자가 되어 주시길 간절히 부탁드립니다. 지구촌 홍익컨설팅그룹 대표 박종화가 가진 재능이 필요하다면 언제든지 불러만 주십시오. 인류대민사업 프로젝트 동영상 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/11802 인류대민사업과 신이민정책(1/6) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/10922 인류대민사업(2/6) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/10923 인류대민사업과 평화통일(3/6) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/10924 인류대민사업 - 해외동포 3세의 역할(4/6) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/10925 인류대민사업 기금조달(5/6) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/10939 인류대민사업과 국제기구(6/6) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/10940 승진을 꺼리는 공무원 - 공인의 본분(1/3) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/11792 http://jungbub.com/220165139036 승진을 꺼리는 공무원 - 경제를 주는 이유(2/3) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/11793 http://jungbub.com/220165143642 승진을 꺼리는 공무원 - 공인은 인류지도자(3/3) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/11794 http://jungbub.com/220165146248 공무원 연금 삭감과 공무원 준비생의 마음가짐 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/11129 신 패러다임 복지사업을 주도하시어 스웨덴을 능가하는 세계 최고의 복지국가를 함께 창조해 보아요~... 골목골목마다 집집마다 행복한 웃음이 넘치는 신명나는 사람사는 세상을...... 대구시에서부터 함께 창조해 보고 싶습니다. ... 복지 신패러다임 프리젠테이션 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/9346 복지와경제 - 돈 버는 일,장애인의 역할(1/10) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/1285 복지와경제 - 여성의 할 일(2/10) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/1286 복지와경제 - 노동자,홍익사업(3/10) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/1288 돈을 많이 벌어서 가치있게 잘 쓰고 싶다면? http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/9600 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/9601 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/9602 정치인의 깨달음(1/3) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/10598 종교인,지식인의 깨달음(2/3) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/10597 종교인,지식인의 깨달음(3/3) http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/10596 신지식인의 출현 프리젠테이션 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/9454 신 패러다임 종교가 해야 할 일 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/2348 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/1764 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/1765 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/1766 장애인의 겸손(5/6) http://www.youtube.com/watch… 장애인의 겸손(6/6) http://www.youtube.com/watch… 노인복지 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/7172 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/1295 삼성그룹과 복지사업 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/10935 인류대민사업 기본계획서 프리젠테이션 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/8148 베이비부머 세대들의 새역사창출 프로젝트 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/10909 제3차 인류대민사업 프리젠테이션 http://cafe.naver.com/meetingmentor/11602 http://jungbub.com/40176325092 (대한민국의 미래 - 1 ) http://jungbub.com/40176326528 (대한민국의 미래 - 2 저마다 소질로 인류에 빛나는 삶을) http://jungbub.com/40176352194 (대한민국의 미래 - 3 인류의 지도자로 등장) http://jungbub.com/40176352291 (대한민국의 미래 - 4 인류평화시대 개막) http://jungbub.com/40176386001 (대한민국의 미래 - 5 빛나는 일과 구심점) http://jungbub.com/40176389380 (대한민국의 미래 - 6 신 복지패러다임) http://jungbub.com/40176390048 (대한민국의 미래 - 7 인류대민사업 프로젝트) http://jungbub.com/40176483952 (대한민국의 미래 - 8 예언) http://jungbub.com/40176488441 (대한민국의 미래 - 9 중소기업 성공) http://jungbub.com/40176544121 (대한민국의 미래 - 10 인류대민사업 시행) http://jungbub.com/40176544197 (대한민국의 미래 - 11 UN 반기문 총장의 역할) 2 hours ago
- How will UNDP use innovations to address development challenges? Check out the press release. 16 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook