Monitoring Support Programme to the National Strategic Development Plan and Cambodia MDGs
The National Strategic Development Plan/Cambodia Millennium Development Goals (NSDP/CMDG) Monitoring Support Programme (NMSP) aims to support the institutional development at national and sub-national levels to develop and use analytical tools in support of decision-making and acceleration in the attainment of national development targets and the CMDGs. The programme is aligned with the Ministry of Planning Strategic Plan (MPSP) to help address key challenges and improve institutional coordination for achieving NSDP/CMDG targets.
Key achieved results
- Ministry of Planning and line ministries produce evidence based policy decisions to fast-track the achievement of lagging NSDP/CMDG targets.
- CMDG scorecards drawn on commune database (CDB) and other products generated by sub-national MoP staff are used to focus sub-national planning and resource allocation processes by 197 districts /khans/municipality
Key expected results
- Strengthening the capacity of and assisting MoP and line ministries to produce regular quality analytical reports
- Supporting central agencies and line ministries to undertake dialogues on acceleration of NSDP/CMDG through diffusing results of NSDP/CMDG, other special reports, and preparation of NSDP and other acceleration frameworks.
- Assisting MoP and line ministries to prepare the 2014-2018 NSDP that includes sub-national analysis and acceleration strategies
- Supporting NSDP (2014-2018) M&E via the establishment of a suitable M&E framework and clear identification of explicit indictors to promote M&E systems alignment of line ministries
- Support to strengthen the annual three-year rolling Public Investment Program (PIP).
- CDB-based CMDG scorecards and other products in support of sub-national planning are generated by sub-national MoP staff;
- Sub-national actors being able to use the scorecards and other products in sub-national planning;
- Performance of sub-national entities on CMDG achievement and budget allocation is reported annually by all subnational actors;
- Experiences about localizing CMDG and using tools are shared at the national, regional and global level.
Cambodia signed the Millennium Declaration in September 2000, committing itself to achieving the eight Millennium Development Goals by 2015. In 2003, Cambodia localized the MDGs and adopted a special ninth Cambodia MDG on demining, explosive remnants of war (ERW) and victim assistance.
In line with its CMDG commitments, the government developed its national poverty reduction strategy, the National Strategic Development Plan. The Ministry of Planning has a mandate to formulate and monitor the NSDP and to report to the government on progress and achievements. The Ministry’s Strategic Plan provides a framework with which development partners can align their support with a view to help the Ministry move towards a programme based approach.
Over the last three year, UNDP has been helping to develop the capacity of the MoP to monitor progress made on achieving the CMDGs at both national and sub-national levels and implementing the National Strategic Development Plan through the Preparatory Assistance for CMDG/NSDP Monitoring. UNDP will continue to support the MoP in the attainment of national development targets and CMDG through this NSDP/CMDG Monitoring Support Programme.