6 Achieve universal primary education
Where we are?
Overview on Cambodia MDG2
The net enrolment rate of over 90% at the primary level appears impressive (Figure 2). Cambodia is likely to achieve the CMDG target of universal primary education by 2015 and maintain gender parity. However, many more enrol compared to those who actually attend classes. Also, performance beyond the primary levels requires a serious intervention.
Children not completing school, and repetition rates. Next, young people must acquire higher levels of education and skills to successfully negotiate their way into labour markets or take up value adding self-employment. In this regard, performance beyond primary levels requires a quantum shift.
Statement on CMDG2
It appears that the goal on primary education is well within reach though, there is an arduous path beyond primary education.
To know more about Cambodia MDG2, please visit UNICEF in Cambodia.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for Cambodia MDG2
- Achieve universal primary education
- Completion rate of Grade 6: up to almost 100% for both boys and girls by 2015
- Completion rate of Grade 9 to increase
Targets for MDG2
- Ensure that, by 2015, children everywhere, boys and girls alike, will be able to complete a full course of primary schooling
- Net enrolment ratio in primary education
- Proportion of pupils starting grade 1 who reach last grade of primary
- Literacy rate of 15-24 year-olds, women and men